For Nebraskan runza and Piroshki, I kneaded dough by hands. It is very useful to know how to make bread from scratch to teach Hum Bao. Although my recipe of Hum Bao is for my cooking class, I share my holiday bread recipe here. If you don't have bread flour in your kitchen, try with 3 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour instead of partial bread flour. I think the result will still be great.
I got Kitchen aid mixer for Christmas. I will use it to make my bread soon.
- Place all ingredients except egg wash in pan of bread machine.
- Select dough cycle and make dough. It generally takes about one and a half hour.
- Meanwhile, cut parchment paper to the size of pizza baking dish.
- After the dough cycle is completed, dust the flour on a cutting board and put the dough on the board.
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces and roll dough and make 3 ropes.
- Mold the ends of the 3 ropes together and braid the rest of dough while stretching the rope.*
- Pinch the end of the ropes together to make a wreath.
- Rise the dough for one hour in warm place until it doubles size. Possibly longer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree
- Brush the egg wash on wreath dough. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool and decorate with frosting made of 1 cup of powdered sugar and 2-3 Table spoon milk. Sprinkle red and green sugar (Optional)
Fumiko's Holiday bread made by Bread machine(PDF printer friendly version)